Search This Blog

Saturday 16 January 2016

A Place I Call Home

For those who don't already know, here's what happened...

Roughly about 10 years ago, my older brother discovered Dean Scott's MMA gym,  where he was introduced to kickboxing. A few weeks into training, he decided to drag me along, and although I was keen, I had no idea what to expect.



I started training and then I started nagging him to take me to gym. 

The gym wasn't one of the best, or one of the fanciest, but it was where I was most at ease, in my element. 

I became old enough to drive myself around and my brother had other priorities to attend to, so I started going to  gym on my own. 


During a training session at Dean Scott's MMA Gym


Throughout my time at Dean Scott's I met some of the most amazing people who had come and gone, but I was also fortunate enough to have spent a substantial amount of time with the ones who stuck around... Oddly enough, the ones who stuck it out, knew Dean Scott's was doomed, but truth be told, we have shared some amazing times  together, in and out of the gym, as a team. I'd say that was what made it home. 


Watching 'EFC worldwide' with the Team


I had learned so much in the time I was there, but then I started to feel stagnant... I started feeling as if there was too much routine and too much of the same nothing.


Deep down inside my heart, this was a place I called home, a place I could go to and let off steam without questions being asked, a place where I was able to just be me and allowed others to get to know the real me... a place I had put my heart into, a place I had fallen inlove in and a place I had fallen inlove with...

Watching 'Get in the Ring' with the Team


Things deteriorated rapidly in 2014. I managed to maintain  my faith and just hoped for the best... 

But it was like being between 4 walls and fighting the impact of all 4 closing in on you, knowing very well, that it was just a matter of time before it would be too late. 

It was only a matter of time before we'd rock up at the gym one night and the locks would still be on the gates and we'd never get to see the inside of our home again.

Image shot on location at Dean Scott's MMA for an article in Get It Magazine

On January 12th, 2015 Dean Scott's MMA was no longer in existence, and the worst part, was that it was as if it had never existed. Soon after, most of the guys joined other gyms and found their new homes. I kept making excuses about focusing on my studies and my work schedule being too hectic when in reality, i just wasn't ready to start again.





...TO BE CONTINUED...













No comments:

Post a Comment