Search This Blog

Monday 8 December 2014

Heart of a Lion... In and Out of the Ring!

Juan "LionHeart" Joubert may only be a young 18, but in the cage, he definitely lives up to his fight name. With an MMA record of 5-2, Joubert has proven to be always hungry, always keen and always prepared. Fighting out of "the beautiful Jeffreys Bay" as Joubert puts it, he fills us in on what he gets up to in and out of fight camp, ahead of his CFL 08 fight!




A question that always gets me going, is how a fighter gets involved with MMA, specifically competing. Joubert informs us of his journey to the cage; 
"MMA has been a part of my life since I was small. My uncle and Rico Hattingh trained together years back, so I got my first insight on the fight game then."

At 15, Joubert joined Shaughn Vos, spending "some of the best times" of his life, at Crucifix.

Joubert, fondly known in Cape Town, has competed in every Cape Fight League event, except CFL 04, and sees his biggest achievement, in his young fighting career, having had the opportunity to fight for the CFL Lightweight Title.

Joubert describes his title shot against Josh Light as unforeseen. "I trained hard, 3 times a day, eating clean and my mind set was good.
The fight went to the ground, I got the triangle and then got slammed very hard. I recovered and got an armbar, but got dumped again... after that I don't remember the fight.   
I woke up in an ambulance. It was a horrible experience, but that's how you learn"




Joubert also says that he sustained his worst injuries in this fight, "The X-Rays showed I had 2 cracked neck vertebrae and suffered a concussion" but he doesn't take that forward with him as he adds "I'm ready to rumble again".

Joubert is set to face Frans Steyn at CFL 08 on the 13th December 2014, for the number one contender spot in the Welterweight division.



A lot of CFL talk probably has you wondering if Joubert has competed in other promotions as well, don't worry, we wondered the same. "Apart from CFL, I've fought at Takedown Fight Night, as well as Tricore Fight Night to mention a few", Joubert informs us.

Being 18, we asked Joubert what he would like to do once he has completed his Matric exams. "I would love to fight professionally and make a living doing what I love", Joubert says, adding that opening his own club in Jeffreys Bay is definitely also a thought to be put into action.



Joubert is currently being managed by MMA Africa Management and describes this as "one of the best things that happened to me so far.
I was approached by one of the members of the team and I didn't hesitate to join them.  
Steve van Wyk and Stephen Olivier are two of the most awesome guys."



After all this MMA talk, we got to the not so openly shared information starting with asking Joubert what keeps him occupied when he's not training. 
This led us to find that Joubert is also surfer dude too and loves surfing almost as much as he loves fighting... but not quite as much ;) haha!
Joubert went on to say "I'm fortunate to be supported by Jeffreys Bay surf school", he paused... and then mentioned, "The Captains Beard Oils keep my best friend healthy"... tamatoe, tamatie... best friend, awesome beard... we call it as we see it #LionsPride ;)


 

We managed to sniff out some more information by asking if there was a special lady in Joubert's life, to which he responded with "Special lady... very good question" and then jokingly added "I wish, haha". (So there you have it ladies... grab a number and wait in line ;) haha)


Looking at becoming a professional MMA Fighter, we asked Joubert what his take was on the transition from EFC Africa to EFC Worldwide. "The fact that EFC is worldwide now, is amazing!! I'm a big fan of EFC and always will be", says Joubert. "I can't wait to be there and live my dream against the best".



Living relatively close to Port Elizabeth, we asked Joubert if he would be competing in IFC. He responded, reminding us, "There hasn't been an IFC event recently, otherwise I would probably have competed."

On role models, Joubert informs us that Rico Hattingh has been his role model since he was only a little boy, "Hattingh is the most humble and friendly person, and definitely the best heavyweight SA will ever have!"

Joubert describes the biggest lesson he's learned in the fight game as never underestimating your opponent. "Anything can happen in there, stay humble and down to earth. Being in the public eye doesn't make you a role model", says Joubert.





Joubert explains his fight name, "though the years of growing up, life wasn't easy.
I've been through tough times, but I've stayed strong.  
Heart of a lion... I can be down, but never out".

Joubert finds himself chilled and watching fights on fight night. he then proceeds to "get in the zone" and warm up. He explains "I usually have team mates psyching me up. Nerves are always high, but I love every moment."




Joubert thanks BoxingBarbie for the interview, Kombat Lifestyle, who have stood beside him throughout his MMA career, always backing him. "Thanks to Sponsors Apocalypse Fight Gear, The Captains Beard, @ Work Rocking Sports Bar, Jeffreys Bay Surf School, Sale Caps, DXJ Graphics Design, Frost Tattoos, SAF Stats and MMA Africa Management. Thank you Steve van Wyk and Stephen Olivier for all your time and effort. Without you and all my sponsors, I wouldn't be able to pursue my dream. Thank You!

Follow Juan Joubert on twitter to keep up to date: @juan_leeuMMA

BoxingBarbie would like to wish Juan Joubert everything of the best with his upcoming fight at CFL 08!!

No comments:

Post a Comment